About the Role:
Would you enjoy using all your creative and technical skills to maintain an extensive collection of keyboard instruments in a world-class undergraduate music environment? Are you interested in working with music faculty and students in a fast-paced setting at one of the Midwest's top-rated liberal arts colleges? Come work for St. Olaf College! We seek an expert Piano Technician to lead our piano technology team. This position, with significant support from the college administration, offers the successful candidate the opportunity to oversee an extensive collection of well-maintained keyboard instruments, provide expert guidance in the purchasing of concert instruments, and be an integral part of the music program behind the world-renowned St. Olaf Choir, Orchestra, Band, and Christmas Festival.
What You’ll Do:
● Tune, maintain, and/or supervise all service of music department pianos, harpsichords and fortepiano,
● Conduct on-site piano repairs and regulation, including problem-solving and developing effective, practical solutions for issues that arise,
● Supervise workload and duties of the Assistant Piano Technician, prioritize and coordinate efficient scheduling of all piano services, supervise moving of harpsichords and fortepiano as needed, and serve as department contact with professional piano movers as appropriate,
● Maintain service records and track recommendations in the department inventory database,
● Rebuild or supervise rebuilding of pianos and piano actions in the department shop as appropriate to maintain inventory at an optimum potential.
Who You Are:
Qualified candidates will have . . .
● Technician education sufficient to achieve RPT status in Piano Technicians Guild or equivalent certification,
● 5+ years of certified piano technician work and recognized professional experience in the field of piano technology that includes experience with concert piano preparation,
● 1+ years of supervisory experience or demonstrated leadership skills/abilities,
● a valid driver’s license and meet St. Olaf College driver authorization criteria with a satisfactory driving record.
Highly-qualified candidates will also have . . .
● 10+ years of experience in the field that includes post-secondary institutional work,
● a Bachelor’s Degree.
We seek a conscientious, detail-oriented individual with the following qualities:
● Ability to do self-directed work at a professional level and shop skills relevant to post-secondary institutional piano maintenance,
● Ability to stay organized while changing priorities and remaining busy,
● Ability to train and supervise others,
● Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form,
● Ability to problem-solve unique situations, including pressure situations with time limitations
We look forward to receiving your application!
Please review the job description here:
Who We Are:
Founded in 1874, St. Olaf College is a residential, coeducational liberal arts college with approximately 3,000 students and 800 faculty and staff employees. The college is located on a picturesque 300-acre campus in Northfield, Minnesota, a vibrant, restored, historic river town of 20,000 located 45 minutes south of culturally rich and diverse Minneapolis and St. Paul.
The college offers an academically rigorous, nationally ranked liberal arts education that fosters the development of the whole person in mind, body, and spirit and emphasizes learning in an inclusive and globally engaged community. We encourage applications from candidates committed to multicultural understanding and the enrichment of our diverse community.
The college offers a comprehensive benefits package including a 9% company retirement match, company monthly contributions to a retirement healthcare account, company contributions to eligible employee’s health savings account, significant tuition discount (up to 80% off) at ACM and ELCA colleges and universities for employee’s children, and generous paid time off. For a full review of benefit offerings, see the summary of the benefits program here: https://wp.stolaf.edu/hr/benefits/
To provide a safe and secure educational environment, St. Olaf College verifies the accuracy of all credentials presented by applicants and conducts a criminal background check on every new hire.
A summary of the Flexible Work Policy: https://wp.stolaf.edu/hr/flexible-work-policy/
A link to our DEI page: https://wp.stolaf.edu/equity-inclusion/
A virtual campus tour: https://www.stolaf.edu/multimedia/play/?p=483
An overview of Northfield: https://wp.stolaf.edu/admissions/visit/northfield/
An overview of the Twin Cities: https://wp.stolaf.edu/admissions/visit/twincities/
St. Olaf College requires all employees to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccination, as defined by the CDC. A reasonable accommodation may apply because of a disability or sincerely held religious belief. Compliance with St. Olaf's COVID-19 policy is a condition of employment. Under current guidelines, "up to date" means one updated (bivalent) booster, which became available on September 7, 2022. If and when this guidance changes, employees will be required to get additional boosters as indicated by CDC guidelines.
St. Olaf College is an equal employment opportunity and voluntary affirmative action employer. The College is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our community. With regard to its hiring and employment practices, the College prohibits all forms of discrimination and harassment based upon an individual’s legally protected status including race, color, creed, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, marital status, veteran status, or status with regard to public assistance.
For Staff Application Assistance:
For Faculty Application Assistance:
Title IX Contact Information:
Pamela McDowell, Title IX and Section 504 Coordinator
1520 St. Olaf Avenue, Tomson Hall 180
Northfield, MN 55057